-the weather has not been very agreeable and it seems like many people excited to garden are busy with all the great things going on.
Although we have 15 gardens confirmed this is the count so far:
3.5 are ready for planting
4.5 have been planted
1 garden = allotment has been planted
1 garden scheduling a dig this week
- We have not been holding meetings (I felt that we could meet while we garden - less talk more action) It seems like meetings have better attendance than some of the garden events.
- Life getting in the way: although none of the gardens have cancelled I think many people have been otherwise occupied and unavailable
- I am waiting to hear about set up times/ help times from a few Garden Managers who are managing their own yard.
- In the planning of the method, we required Garden Managers taking responsibility for other people's yards. This was to spread out administration of project to make it more effective and less reliant on one organizer. I have had no G.M. until now - We have recently confirmed 1 new garden manager & working on a second.
- Limited volunteer support - some days we have 10 turn out, many days it is myself and one other.
- I have been busy working on The Co-op (a soon-to-be source of sustainable income) and have had limited availability. Because of this and the limited volunteer support I have been choosing times to garden based on my availability - may not be ideal for most volunteers.
|Maybe next year....|
What does the rest of the season look like?
We may have less produce to share than expected - but because it is run on 100% volunteer support we will just do what we can, and learn for next year.
We will have pot-lucks throughout the summer.
Maybe we should hold more regular meet and greets to let new people interested in the project get to know other volunteers.
Thoughts? Suggestions ? write below or email email@example.com