What's the big idea : to demystify vegetable growing & make home grown food accessible to everyone in our urban centre
Goals for This Fall:
– choose 10 – 15 spaces in the front/back yards of generous landowners in Stratford
– draw out plans for each garden
– prep the land for spring (tilling or no-dig method)
– plant garlic / onions
– scout out potential volunteers and meet lots of interesting people wanting to develop a more sustainable Stratford
Goals for 2011 Season:
– grow beautiful vegetable gardens in 10 – 15 back yards
– recruit 10-20 (or more) volunteers to help maintain the gardens
– plant many seeds & seedlings & watch food grow
– share vegetables with volunteers/landowners
– donate vegetables to house of blessing/salvation army
– sell vegetables
– preserve vegetables
– participate in a front-yard veggie garden tour
– participate in Savour Stratford?
I am very excited for suggestions and interested to see what directions this project will go in.
Ideal Landowners would have a sunny space in their front or back yard and willing to give it up for vegetables.
I expect many landowners will be interested as a result for the 2011 season preference will go to:
– those who are interested in assisting in maintenance
– yards close to downtown core
(I am only willing to commit to 10-15 gardens until the spring where I may add on a few depending on volunteer support.... I also plan on expanding in the 2012 Season)
– No experience necessary / experience welcomed
– volunteer as little as one day a week to water & weed one garden (or as much as you like)
– people willing to commit to the entire season (spring – fall)
– you will get vegetables!
(I would also be excited to set more experienced volunteers up with a plot of their own)