Thursday, October 7, 2010

Meet & Greet Handout

Stratford Urban
Farming Experiment
What's the big idea :   to demystify vegetable growing & make home grown food accessible to everyone in our urban centre

Goals for This Fall:
–       choose 10 – 15 spaces in the front/back yards of generous landowners in Stratford
–       draw out plans for each garden
–       prep the land for spring (tilling or no-dig method)
–       plant garlic / onions
–       scout out potential volunteers and meet lots of interesting people wanting to develop a more sustainable Stratford
Goals for 2011 Season:
–       grow beautiful vegetable gardens in 10 – 15 back yards
–       recruit 10-20 (or more) volunteers to help maintain the gardens
–       plant many seeds & seedlings & watch food grow
–       share vegetables with volunteers/landowners
–       donate vegetables to house of blessing/salvation army
–       sell vegetables
–       preserve vegetables
–       participate in a front-yard veggie garden tour
–       participate in Savour Stratford?

I am very excited for suggestions and interested to see what directions this project will go in.
Landowners:
Ideal Landowners would have a sunny space in their front or back yard and willing to give it up for vegetables.

I expect many landowners will be interested as a result for the 2011 season  preference will go to:
–       those who are interested in assisting in maintenance
–       yards close to downtown core



(I am only willing to commit to 10-15 gardens until the spring where I may add on a few depending on volunteer support.... I also plan on expanding in the 2012 Season)



Volunteers:
–       No experience necessary / experience welcomed
–       volunteer as little as one day a week to water & weed one garden (or as much as you like)
–        people willing to commit to the entire season (spring – fall)
–       you will get vegetables!

(I would also be excited to set more experienced volunteers up with a plot of their own)

No comments:

Post a Comment